I’ve noticed an increase in negativity on Twitter; whether it be in reaction to the cancellation of Moonrise (warranted, what happened was a shock and a disrespect to the artists who were signed up to perform) or the outright vicious attack of others, there seems to be an increase in hypocrisy surrounding those who claim to ‘preach PLUR’ and then so adamantly drop the veil of acceptance to berate and humiliate others. Truthfully, it makes me sad to see that so many have turned against the true ideals they stand for in favor of petty argument and bickering. Not only that, but I’ve even seen a truly disgusting increase in outright muckraking by twitter handles that claim to represent blogs. I know I have been known to criticize producers such as Paris Hilton, Will.i.am, and Pauly D…but there is a fundamental difference in disagreeing with the musical styles they perpetuate and an all-out assault on them personally.
I understand that twitter is a platform built on conversation, and that not all conversations will be positive, but outright bullying of anyone within the EDM scene is fundamentally un-PLUR, and if you are viciously attacking anyone be it a DJ, Anon, or personal handle, you are not preaching PLUR. To be honest, anyone who knows the original origin of the saying that coined the phenomena remembers that the initial mention was in a threatening manner:
“You better start showing some Peace, Love and Unity, or I will break your $%^ing faces”
Initially yelled by at a rave where a fight broke out, this moment of clarity would inspire our neon-laden comrades to later on don the expressive and vibrant decor they wear now, and their mission to spread love and acceptance of everyone in the scene. I’m not saying I’m going to break your fucking face if you continue to berate others while “going through the motions” of PLUR, but I think its time someone informed you that you are perpetuating a blasphemy, a charade, and not truly embracing the Peace, Love, Unity, or Respect idolized by this generation.
PLUR is being the difference, not the opposition.
Hey guys! I now also write for the stellar team at Electronica Oasis! Come check out my first exclusive editorial piece on their site !
Hey kids! With all kinds of amazing initiatives like ‘The Plur Project’ by Bad Kids Clothing, and ravers everywhere seeking to find and meet each other at festivals, I felt it was high time someone put together an easier (and better way) to hangout with all your favorite twitter handles….face to face!
How you ask? Introducing the EDM Hangout Series! I will be collecting emails from anons, DJs, and anyone else interested in one big happy love fest over the internet (it’s not scary I promise!). I promise with all my fuzzy heart I will try to get some of your favorite DJ/Producers to join in also! I’m still working on the structure, but the plan is this:
- Each week, set up a time to call and chat with ravers from around the nation/globe to discuss what’s happening in the scene. Meet your favorite anon handles (finally see their face) and maybe even discover ravers in your area you never knew existed!
- Availability permitting, meet and greet amazing local, national, (and if I work a miracle) worldwide names in the EDM series (my current sights are set on ETC!ETC! or someone of that caliber)
- Make lasting connections! If you can’t make it to a festival that your buddies will be at, meet some amazing people in your area that might be able to rage out with you at your next show 🙂
This might seem silly to some, but as someone who knows very few people in my city and often attends events by myself (seriously, alone) I think it would be great to become that much more connected to our happy raver family (one funny mass videochat at a time). I’m currently testing the best way to do this, and the best software to use. But to be eligible to participate, please email me at Ragehound@gmail.com
See you lovelies later ❤ ~The Hound
So I finally recovered from EDC NY (using the word ‘recovered’ a bit loosely seeing as im still sore) and decided to do a great big overall recap.
Day 1 started off pretty well, got to skip around in line waiting for the gates to open at noon, at which point I knocked out the essentials (run to bathrooms before dirty, get a water bottle, dash for snacks, position self at front of favorite opener).
Starting with Tyler Sherritt was a must, and must say opening up with sexy vocals was a happy moment for me.
Within seconds, I bumped into a follower, snapped a pic:
and tried (unsuccessfully) to get onto the ferris wheel…after an hour I decided to wander off and see who else I could catch. Throughout the day I caught some of Danny Avila, Cedric Gervais, R3hab (personal favorite), *La Roux (my cell decided to be wishful and type NERVO…derp), Eric Prydz (also favorite), Dirty South,Headhunterz, and Figure (BEST). I would break down each set individually…but I feel like every music blogger and their mom can tell you how incredible everyone performed (though imo, Danny was better during Generation Wild then here).
On the second day, I started off with the Bad Kids Andi & Lex, and enjoyed VIP treatment and beats from Sweekuh (with a mimosa or 5). They’ll have official pictures soon enough on the website, I’m sure. Til then, here is a big blob of photos from the second day (and some form the first I was too lazy to post earlier) :
One thing that did bother me, was watching some people get carried off by EMT (most notably, a girl who was carried out RIGHT PAST DANNY AVILA’S LIVE SET). It’s disheartening to see people who have incorrectly assessed their limits or gone to far in the name of ‘raging’; you don’t need to roll to enjoy EDM. You can by all means enhance your positive feelings by doing so…but what truly annoyed me were people I spoke to after (clearly not good friends of mine) who boasted about ‘blacking out’ for parts of EDC NY. In contrast, what also annoyed me was seeing a trending topic of “all these bandwaggoners ruining EDC NY”, and people being irritated that new people would want to discover electronic music. If you think about it, EDC NY is the perfect way to discover multiple producers at once (you get more bang for your buck). And people discovering EDM is a beautiful thing.
With EDC New York a week away and many women (and men) preparing what they will wear, who they will see…and possibly also what they will take, many may also be looking collectively at their midsections and scurrying off to twitter in search of a way to rapidly dump their insides for the perfect ‘rave body’. Because my diet has wandered off into the ‘eating-peanut-butter-with-a-spoon’ phase once too often this month, I decided just for kicks to see if there wasn’t one crazy train on pinterest that had a halfway decent idea on how to rapidly shed pounds temporarily.
Here was what I found….and tried:
- The ‘honey and cinnamon cleanse”. Often accompanied with pictures of heavily emaciated (or astoundingly buff) women, this “little trick” type fad involves drinking a boiled concoction of cinnamon powder and honey before meals to aid in digestion…..or something. This fad has been spreading like wildfire across beauty boards, health blogs, and touts that you will melt pounds and lose as much as 1% of body fat. And this all sounds pretty reasonable: its all natural ingredients, you can still eat after, and for the most part, this is the least batshit of the fads out there (I’m looking at you, Beyonce cleanse). The only catch here, is that this drink is absolutely AWFUL tasting, and will more than likely make you nauseated for a few hours after taking (perhaps this is part of the strategy?). If you can handle the ‘cinnamon-challenge’ esque texture of this ungodly thing going down, it could be worth a try. My advice? Only drink 1/2 the recommended dosage to prevent the urge to vomit it back up.
- The ‘lemon water’ cleanse. A step downward on the crazy is this ‘tonic’ approach meant to be added to an existing diet in the morning. Apparently (according to some) this aids in ‘cleansing’ crap out of your system and keeping your stomach from bloating. If you’re going to be rocking a bra-top to a festival, downing a glass of this might be a pretty good idea. Truthfully, I drink a glass of water with a squirt of lemon juice in it every morning, this one is much less of a hassle than others, and you can still eat normal food after. Does it work? I don’t know, but it tastes good so I’m sticking to it.
- The ‘tea snack inhibitor’. According to a few people , drinking tea before you sleep helps stave off midnight snacking. This one did not seem to keep me from sleepwalking to my fridge and eating a jar of jam in my sleep. Not sure if I trust this one.
So that’s what Pinterest says you should do (I stayed away from anything too insane sounding). You might notice I didn’t mention any ‘juicing’ pins, and here’s why. If you are trying to slim down for festival season and will be working out, juicing isn’t going to help you. It’s been proven to be dangerous to diabetics, actually remove some of the healthy nutrients from fruits and veggies, and you are probably just going to pack the pounds right back on. Worse, these ‘fix-it’ juices don’t fill you up, and if you cut protein from your diet, you starve your body from what it needs to rebuild post-workout muscle (and can wreck your liver).
If you juice, good for you, but it would be Un-PLUR on a variety of levels if I supported such a destructive (and expensive) fad.
What’s the best way to slim before a festival in my experience? My laziness in food shopping has done me many favors; I don’t buy meat anymore, just eggs and make dinner frittatas and omelets. I only let myself have a big slab of steak or hamburger unless I’m going out, and supplement my protein needs with eggs, peanut butter, and a small package of bacon I keep in the fridge for rough days. Instead of ‘juicing’ I put my salads in the blender because I hate salad, and it makes the unpleasant cold veggie experience end sooner (otherwise I just throw veggies in the omelets). Additionally, because I live in the city, I utilize the public transportation system as my gym, running up all sets of stairs I encounter in subways and walking everywhere (NO CABS!).
So there’s a lot of sick shit coming up, and I figured now would be a great time to dole out a nice big laundry list of what’s coming up in no particular order:
- EDC NY – Meeting Drunkmau5, Bad Kids Clothing, and ….cue sick video:
- Dirtyphonics show with ETC!ETC!
- Bad Kids Clothing Pre-EDC NY Party & VIP Bus Escort
- Possible exclusive DJ interview :3 ??
- Ignorant Noise music release?
- Maybe finally get to chat to some new talent?
❤ I’ll check in later ~ The Hound